Thursday, December 15, 2011

When the Moon Hits Your Eye Like a Big Pizza Pie That's Amore

My son is a pizza connoisseur. Several years ago, when he was 7, we took an Italian cruise. He declared that he was going to try a different pizza in every port. I was confused by the word "different" because all he ever puts on his pizza is cheese and pepperoni. But the boy surprised me. He tried pizza with different kinds of cheeses and different kinds of crust. Those are the things that made them different to him.


Pizza was supposedly invented in Naples, Italy. So you can imagine the thrill of a little boy pizza lover when he learned that little nugget of information. I don't think that it mattered what kind of pizza he was eating while in Naples. It was just the fact that he was eating a slice in the place where it all began. That was such an empowering moment for him. And I bet you, if you asked him where he found the best pizza, he would say Naples, not even remembering what was on it.

So you can imagine how my heart sang when he told me I make the best pizza he has ever had. Honestly, I can't take the credit because I make the Pioneer Woman's pizza crust and then throw whatever toppings I'm in the mood for on top. I have made many a pizza dough in my life, but by far the best I have ever tried is the Pioneer Woman's recipe. The woman knows her dough!

The sauce is important too. I use a blend of dry herbs: thyme, crushed rosemary, pepper, salt, oregano, and basil. I mix this into an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce. That's right! I put the herbs right in the can and stir it up. I find that an 8 ounce can of sauce is just perfect for a pizza.

As far as toppings are concerned, the sky is the limit and the variations are endless. I even put corn on a pizza once, but my husband staunchly told me how wrong it was. You can include any of the following:

any kind of cheese
pepperoni
salami
prosciutto
ground beef
sausage
canadien bacon
ham
any kind of onion
artichoke hearts
olives
bell pepper
mushroom
fresh spinach
feta cheese
fresh mozzarella
garlic
roasted red peppers
chicken
pineapple


This is just a short list, but offers an endless supply of possibilities. What do you like to put on your pizza? I bet there is a combination of ingredients that you find to be definitely divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment